HOLIDAY SMALL PLATES
Prophecy Wines Holiday Small Plates The holidays are a wonderful time to bring together family and friends. While some occasions call for a big meal, we like to keep holiday meals informal. We have a few small, go-to holiday plates we like to pair with our wines. Whether you have red wine aficionados in your group or those who prefer a crisp white, these small plates are versatile enough to bring out the best flavors in both our Pinot Noir and our Sauvignon Blanc.
CRANBERRY PINOT NOIR MEATBALLS
Meatballs have always been a versatile appetizer—great for any crowd. But when you cover them with cranberry sauce and Prophecy Pinot Noir, you’ve got a perfect dish for holiday gatherings. And while Pinot Noir may seem like the star of the show, these meatballs bring out the zesty fruit characteristics of our Sauvignon Blanc as well.
- 1 26-oz bag Italian-style meatballs
- 1 16-oz can whole cranberry sauce
- 1 cup Prophecy Pinot Noir
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp spicy brown mustard
- Prepare meatballs according to directions on the package and set aside.
- Combine cranberry sauce, brown sugar, Prophecy Pinot Noir and mustard in a small saucepan and whisk over medium heat to combine. Bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Stir frequently.
- Remove from heat and pour over meatballs. Serve immediately or transfer to a crock pot set on warm or a low setting.
Wild Mushroom and Burrata Bruschetta
Creamy burrata cheese and premium mushrooms bring out the earthiness in our Prophecy Pinot Noir and soften citrus notes, emphasizing the minerality taste in Prophecy Sauvignon Blanc.
INGREDIENTS(Serves 4-6 People)
- 1 lb shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps quartered
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 lb burrata cheese, minced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1.5 tsp chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil, extra for brushing
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 16 slices of peasant loaf, sliced ⅓ inch thick
- Toss mushrooms with garlic, rosemary, lemon zest and ½ cup olive oil. Set aside for one hour.
- Light the grill. Spread mushrooms on a lightly oiled, perforated grill tray. Season with salt and pepper and grill over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally until browned (about 8 minutes.)
- Brush bread with olive oil and grill, turning once until toasted (about 1 minute.) Top toast with mushrooms and add a slice of burrata to each piece.
- Serve with a glass of Prophecy Pinot Noir or Prophecy Sauvignon Blanc.
Delicious with red and white wines alike, Candied Pecans add a sweet touch to any holiday gathering.
- 4 cups raw pecan halves (substitute with almonds, walnuts, or use all three)
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Combine brown sugar, water, salt and cayenne pepper in a skillet and bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly.
- Add pecans and continue to cook. Stir frequently with a wooden spoon until almost all liquid has evaporated and pecans are evenly coated.
- Transfer pecans to sheet pan and spread them in a single layer.
- Roast nuts until all moisture has evaporated and they are dark brown (about 15 minutes.) Remove from oven and allow pecans to cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight container.
Enjoy these petit plates with a delicious bottle of wine as you celebrate the holidays with those you love. For more vibrant recipe inspiration, browse the Prophecy blog. Cheers!